Lichens and algae could be the first life forms we find on Earth-like exoplanets, by looking for their light signatures in a planet’s distinctive colouring.
Astronomers have found several rocky worlds in the habitable zone, the region around a star where liquid water can exist on a planet’s surface, and many more are thought to exist. As telescopes get more sensitive, we should be able to collect light reflected off such planets and look for clues to their surface conditions.
Seen from space, Earth gives off a large amount of near-infrared light, which is reflecting off the chlorophyll in plants. We might see a similar “red edge” on distant exoplanets if they also host green vegetation.
But Siddharth Hegde and Lisa Kaltenegger of the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy in Heidelberg, Germany, think it is possible that many rocky worlds will have extreme heat, dryness or acidity, and that hardier life forms will dominate their surfaces. So what would these organisms look like from a distance?
Patterns of life
To find out the pair looked at the light reflected by some of Earth’s more extreme life forms: lichens in arid regions, bacterial mats in very hot water and red algae in acid mine drainage. They calculated that seen from afar each type of organism would create a unique colour pattern. Lichens, for instance, appear more yellow than the algae or bacteria.
Finding these patterns wouldn’t necessarily mean life is present, but it could be a step towards narrowing down exoplanets for more detailed searches, the authors say.
It’s an attractive idea, says Nicolas Cowan of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, and it is far more likely that a given planet would contain microbial life than trees. But the work has its limits, he cautions. For instance, atmospheres on other planets may be very different from our own and could scatter light in ways we wouldn’t expect.
“Nature may be more creative than our little corner of the cosmos would have us believe,” Cowan says.
- awesomesciencestuff likes this
- abbdog63 likes this
- assasinscreedauditore reblogged this from science-junkie
- assasinscreedauditore likes this
- magiagrafia likes this
- vincenzo-jerulli likes this
- shijoooooooooooou reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- our-bodies-collide reblogged this from science-junkie
- not-carly likes this
- blackskyisfalling reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- nekonohoshi reblogged this from thecdstimes
- thecdstimes reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- aquariuslove07 reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- thegeekry reblogged this from meulinhailsatanlejion
- pokemaster16 likes this
- elennare reblogged this from women-in-science
- gno-sis reblogged this from science-junkie
- cactuspizza reblogged this from fyeahsciencenerds
- alaskanlibrarian reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff and added:
- financial--panther reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff
- legoman1023 likes this
- togami-time reblogged this from meulinhailsatanlejion
- camystyleslove likes this
- joey4311 likes this
- catron likes this
- dysan1a reblogged this from fuckkitalll
- perceived-nobility likes this
- thialikesstuff reblogged this from eatgeekstudy
- fuckkitalll reblogged this from eatgeekstudy
- eatgeekstudy reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- povcreampie likes this
- flyingislikefalling likes this
- omarove likes this
- timelordsanddetectivestories reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- meine-lebe reblogged this from science-junkie
- meine-lebe likes this
- shy-tuna likes this
- snakesandpearls reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- whistlinginthearches reblogged this from ohmysagan
- dizzyfizzypop likes this
- georggggge reblogged this from science-junkie
- djouna likes this
- cenwatchglass likes this
- escape-from-the-real reblogged this from ohmysagan
- starrdonner likes this
- hk47rebuilt reblogged this from science-junkie
- voiceofthequietuniverse reblogged this from fyeahsciencenerds
- darylelockhart reblogged this from electricspacekoolaid
- amyluvslaura reblogged this from science-junkie
- kitchencats likes this